Friday, August 28, 2015

KINGSTON

We left Belleville around 8:30 this morning and headed out onto a smooth Bay of Quinte and turned east toward Kingston. It was a relaxed cruise and beautiful scenery with sunny skies, but a definite chill in the air. It does feel like Fall is coming on, but even though it was barely 70, the forecast is for hot weather, close to 90 degrees, for several days starting Sunday. If it does get that hot, I hope we’re in a spot I can jump off the back of the boat to cool off.

Marina, right in downtown Kingston
We got into Kingston a little after 2 PM, and by this time the wind was up, making it challenging to get into the very tight slip they assigned me to. The dock attendants started pulling my dock lines as soon as they got hold of them, so I had to tell them (politely) not to pull, to let me bring my boat into the slip by myself. Last time someone pulled me into a slip it cost me big bucks for repairs to my boat, and, of course, they took no accountability for any damage. I’m guessing that the “pull them into their slip” mentality comes from seeing too many people who don’t know how to handle their boat well coming in to dock. I will politely decline their assistance when I leave.

Just as we were about to enter the marina, a small runabout zoomed up yelling “Hi.” Elaine immediately recognized them as Kent and Linda, friends we had met last year cruising the Bahamas.  They just happened to be out for a ride and recognized our boat. We met up, after we docked, on TIGER (Bill & Carole), another boat like ours which was also in the Bahamas last year and was with us for a while in April coming up from Florida. We celebrated the reunion by going out to lunch and getting caught up on all the news.
One of the Martello Towers, built in the 1800s to
 protect the Rideau Canal


After the late lunch, we took a short walk around town to get our bearings and see where we want to explore more tomorrow. All afternoon we were entertained by blues bands which were playing in the park, right at the marina, as part of the weekend Blues Festival…

No comments:

Post a Comment