Thursday, April 30, 2015

CHARLESTON

Wednesday, April 29

We spent our layover day in Beaufort tied to the dock, emerging for a few errands and some touristing between rain showers. I got a couple of projects done on the boat, but added to the list of more things to do.

4 PDQ catamarans in a row at Beaufort
Thursday April 30

Beautiful morning with a clear blue sky and minimal wind. After a leisurely cup of coffee or two we left Beaufort and headed north to Charleston in the company of two other PDQ 34s, HERON and GEMINI. The tidal currents in this area are quite strong, running 2-3 knots. It was great when we had the current and wind with us - like riding a bike downhill with a tailwind. Under those conditions we were making around 15 knots, but then the channels would change and all of a sudden we were going against the current and against the wind. Then our speed would sometimes drop to 9 or 10 knots. Still, a beautiful day to be out on the water.

We got into Charleston early afternoon and after getting tied up at a marina, walked into the historic district. It was a pretty good walk for Elaine, considering she just got her cast off two weeks ago. At that time, the surgeon said she might be off her crutches in 7-10 days (she tossed them as soon as we got home from his office) and in her "walking boot" for a month. Today's walk was probably about 2 miles, and she did it without the boot...

Notes from Elaine

Now that we are in Charleston, South Carolina, Dave is getting his shrimp and grits fix.  And I bought grits at a grocery store today, since I had a monstrously hard time finding it in Marin. Seemed logical at the time, although I'm not sure if we can eat 2 pounds of grits during our travels.

Throughout northern Florida and Georgia, I could hear the shrimp "crackling" under the boat - apparently they snap their claws for propulsion - and sometimes it is so loud, I think it is raining outside. I learned this all a few years ago (I thought our electronics were buzzing) when we traveled south through the region - the things they never tell you when you live on a boat...

I am constantly surprised at my dearth of knowledge of American history as we make our way up the coast. It seems I am constantly trying to brush up on my history before I visit a historical site. It is so much more interesting in person than learning in a textbook though. And so we push on northward...




No comments:

Post a Comment